Sign in to follow this  
admin

Unable to Deploy Sample App

Question

I am using the Sample App, and attempting to deploy it to a WBT connected to my network.  I followed the instructions on a clean Virtual Machine, including the sshpass steps, and get the following output (below).  I am uncertain what Error code 6 is, so I do not know what to change.

10:18:13: Running steps for project WBTAPISampleApp...
10:18:13: Configuration unchanged, skipping qmake step.
10:18:13: Starting: "/usr/bin/make" -w

make: Entering directory `/home/wbtdev/WBTApps/WBTAPISampleApp-build-desktop-Qt_4_7_4__Qt-4_7_4__Release'
cd SampleAppGUI/ && /usr/bin/make -f Makefile 
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/wbtdev/WBTApps/WBTAPISampleApp-build-desktop-Qt_4_7_4__Qt-4_7_4__Release/SampleAppGUI'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `first'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/wbtdev/WBTApps/WBTAPISampleApp-build-desktop-Qt_4_7_4__Qt-4_7_4__Release/SampleAppGUI'
cd SampleAppService/ && /usr/bin/make -f Makefile 
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/wbtdev/WBTApps/WBTAPISampleApp-build-desktop-Qt_4_7_4__Qt-4_7_4__Release/SampleAppService'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/wbtdev/WBTApps/WBTAPISampleApp-build-desktop-Qt_4_7_4__Qt-4_7_4__Release/SampleAppService'
cd SampleAppGUI/ && /usr/bin/make -f Makefile first
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/wbtdev/WBTApps/WBTAPISampleApp-build-desktop-Qt_4_7_4__Qt-4_7_4__Release/SampleAppGUI'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/wbtdev/WBTApps/WBTAPISampleApp-build-desktop-Qt_4_7_4__Qt-4_7_4__Release/SampleAppGUI'
cd SampleAppService/ && /usr/bin/make -f Makefile first
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/wbtdev/WBTApps/WBTAPISampleApp-build-desktop-Qt_4_7_4__Qt-4_7_4__Release/SampleAppService'
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/wbtdev/WBTApps/WBTAPISampleApp-build-desktop-Qt_4_7_4__Qt-4_7_4__Release/SampleAppService'
WbtAppPackerBackend '-cgui,SampleAppGUI/libSampleAppGUI.gui.wbt.so.1.0.0' '-cservice,SampleAppService/SampleAppService.wbt' '-nApp Name' '-dApp Description' '-v0.0.0.1' '--author-name=QRC Tech' '-u5e955bf8-d7c4-4774-9874-b545258707f3' '--author-url=http://www.qrctech.com'
Warning: App Brief Description is missing
Warning: Icon path is missing
MakeMD5 Output 8aeccd5fe3d719faca7440e0a2e2ab7b
MakeMD5 Output 0d5fb3c8ac908c15c44b61d6370db766

make: Leaving directory `/home/wbtdev/WBTApps/WBTAPISampleApp-build-desktop-Qt_4_7_4__Qt-4_7_4__Release'
10:18:13: The process "/usr/bin/make" exited normally.
10:18:13: Starting: "/usr/bin/make" wbtdeploy -w

make: Entering directory `/home/wbtdev/WBTApps/WBTAPISampleApp-build-desktop-Qt_4_7_4__Qt-4_7_4__Release'
sshpass -p wbt scp /home/wbtdev/WBTApps/WBTAPISampleApp-build-desktop-Qt_4_7_4__Qt-4_7_4__Release/App_Name.wpk wbt@$(sed -n 's/^\s*wbt_ip\s*=\s*\(.*\)\s*$/\1/p' /home/wbtdev/WBTApps/WBTAPISampleApp/WBTAPISampleApp.pro):/home/wbt
make: Leaving directory `/home/wbtdev/WBTApps/WBTAPISampleApp-build-desktop-Qt_4_7_4__Qt-4_7_4__Release'
make: *** [wbtdeploy] Error 6
10:18:13: The process "/usr/bin/make" exited with code 2.
Error while building/deploying project WBTAPISampleApp (target: Desktop)
When executing step 'Make' 

8 answers to this question

Just to clarify, I need to know if the wpk is actually being sent over the network to the WBT. Please follow these steps and let me know the results.

1. ssh into your wbt as the 'wbt' user.

2. Make sure that the wpk is not in the home directory ("/home/wbt"). If it exists, please delete it.

3. Run the deploy step from the dev environment.

4. Check that the wpk is in the home directory.

If after following these steps, the wpk is on the WBT, we can safely assume that the issue lies within the WBT and not the dev environment.

In either case, it is obvious that there are issues with remote deployment with the version you are running and I suggest that instead, you use the USB method of deployment.

This is most likely an issue with the wbt not being in your list of known hosts for ssh. As a workaround, follow these steps:

1. Open up a terminal and try to ssh into the wbt using the command 'ssh wbt@<WBT_IP>' replacing <WBT_IP> with the ip address of your wbt.

2. It should then prompt you asking if you want to add the host to your list of known hosts. Type 'yes' and hit enter.

3. It should then prompt you for your password. You don't need to actually log into the wbt. You can just hit Ctrl-C at this point to cancel the command.

4. Your wbt should be added to your list of known hosts. You should now be able to deploy the app from within QT Creator.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We are working on a more permanent fix.

I followed these steps, and I do no longer get the error.  However, the app is also not pushed to the unit and updated.  What does work (which is not automatic deployment) is to go into the directory of my wpk and:

scp [App Name] wbt@[Ip Address]:/home/wbt

to move it into the WBT through the network, then I can ssh into the wbt and get it to take using the following:

ssh wbt@[Ip Address]
<enter password: wbt>
tar -xvzf [App Name]

After this, I do have the new wpk running on the system.  So, this works but isn't Remote Deployment through the IDE.

Just to clarify, I need to know if the wpk is actually being sent over the network to the WBT. Please follow these steps and let me know the results.

1. ssh into your wbt as the 'wbt' user.

2. Make sure that the wpk is not in the home directory ("/home/wbt"). If it exists, please delete it.

3. Run the deploy step from the dev environment.

4. Check that the wpk is in the home directory.

If after following these steps, the wpk is on the WBT, we can safely assume that the issue lies within the WBT and not the dev environment.

In either case, it is obvious that there are issues with remote deployment with the version you are running and I suggest that instead, you use the USB method of deployment.

​The WPK is put into the /home/wbt directly, however it is not installed once put there. So, the problem appears to be in the firmware (I'm running WBT v2.3.3.25)

Unfortunately that method isn't currently reliable but should be more so in the 2.4 release. There are also stability issues with the WBT when apps fail to install using that method so please ensure that there are no .wpk files in /home/wbt and install your apps using the usb stick method of install covered in the documentation. You can also use the untar method you listed above but please make sure to move or delete the wpk from /home/wbt because of issues it can cause.